Chutney (Aam ki Chutni)
from Feast of India by Rani
Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- 6 firm half-ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tsp. ground dried red chilis
- salt to taste
Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring
occasionaly to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom
of the pan.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the chutney cool before serving.