From: Maya Nair
If you are interested in Indian recipes, here is one for spicy
Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Tomatoes, chopped - 5 cups
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds, roasted and powdered - 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - a bunch (or 1 Tablespoon dry) - optional
- Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Pop the mustard seeds ( use a splatter screen.)
Add the tomatoes (warning - it will splatter!) and let it cook on
medium heat for a while.
When is simmers, add the powders (except fenugreek) and the leaves.
Cook till dry and the oil appears on the sides.
Stir for another five minutes till completely dry.
When cool, add the fenugreek powder and mix.
Notes: This is more like a paste and can be used as sandwich spread
or with tortillas (chappathis) or pooris or with rice as a pickle.
Will keep for weeks.
(Doesn't last long in our house ;)