This is the chutney for iddli & dosais.
1. Grind shredded coconut, chillies, tamarind, channa dal & 3 curry
leaves until it is ground fairly well.
- Coconut (fresh) - coconut (shredded or cut in small pieces)
- Green Chillies - 5 (cut in pieces)
- Curry leaves - 6 leaves
- Tamarind - 1/3 teaspoon if using concentrate - 1/3" piece (if
- Mustard- 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida- 1/3 tsp.
- Garlic - 1 clove (optional)
- Urad dal - 1 tsp. (optional)
- Fried channa dal- 1/3 cup. (optional)
- Oil - 2 tsp.
Remove it from the blender and pour it in a small container.
2. Heat the pan and add the oil.
Heat for about 1 minute. Add the mustard, asafoetida, urad dal and
the remaining 3 curry leaves.
Fry for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the ingredients from #2 in to the #1 mixture and mix well
and serve wit hiddli or dosais.
Fried Channa dal - is called "pottu kadalai" or "Oodaitha kadali"
Reasons for not using URAD DAL, GARLIC: I have found that these
two ingredients change the taste of the chutney if it is saved for
the next day which I didn't care for.
So, if you plan to make a whole lot and save it for next day or
two, I suggest you not to use the urad dal or garlic.