Pahi (Eggplant Relish/condiment)
Blend the spices (beginning with the mustard seeds up to and including
the ginger together in the food processor till smooth and set is aside.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, sliced 1/4" thick and dusted liberally
with turmeric and a sprinkle of salt.
- 1" of bland vegetable or canola oil for frying.
- 1 T. black mustard seeds
- 1/2 c. vinegar
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves harlic
- 1 T. fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 T. ground coriander (powder)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. instant Tamarind paste
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 T. sugar
Allow sliced eggplants to sit one hour in a colander.
Press out excess water w/paper towels.
Fry slices quickly in the oil till brown on both sides and cooked
but NOT mushy, adding oil if necessary.
Set the eggplant aside.
Put processor mixture in pan and fry 5 minutes, stirring, until
the spices get fragrant and the seeds begin popping.
Add all else to pan including eggplant and stir very gently.
At this point, it will yield up its oil so remove as much as possible
with a bulb baster and save it for other uses.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Chill several days, then eat as snacks with crackers or by itself.