From The Thrill Of The Grill by Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby;
Serving Size : 6
Saute the onion in the oil until clear, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 1 Lg Yellow Onion, Diced Small
- 2 Tb Peanut Oil
- 1 Unripe Mango, Peeled And Diced Small
- 1 C White Vinegar
- 1 C Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 Lb Very Ripe Bananas, Sliced About 1/4-inch Thick
- 1 Tb Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1/2 C Raisins
- 1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1 Tb Finely Chopped Fresh Serrano - Or Jalapeno Chile (Or
You May Substitute 3/4 Tbls -Red Pepper Flakes)
- Salt And Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, To Taste
- 1 T Allspice
Add the mango and cook 2 minutes over medium heat.
Add the vinegar and orange juice and bring to a simmer, simmering
for 10 minutes more.
Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture back
to a simmer.
As soon as a simmer is reached, remove the mixture from the heat
and cool to room temperature.
Serve or store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
NOTE: Use this basic chutney with your very spicy hot dishes.
Yield: About 5 Cups