Vegan Indian gourmet. Vegetable stock can be used for added flavor.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced (or crushed)
- 1/2 gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
Heat water in pot until boiling.
Add lentils and boil for one minute.
Reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste.
While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan.
Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
Serve as is or over basmati rice.