Tarkaari (Curried Chickpeas)
1. Heat the oil in a wide pot over a medium flame.
- 5 T. vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and minced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 T. ground coriander
- 2 t. ground cumin
- .25- .5 t. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 t. turmeric
- 6 T. finely chopped, skinned fresh, or canned red-ripe tomatoes
- 4.25 C. chickpeas, drained
- 2 t. ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1 T. ground amchoor
- 2 t. sweet paprika
- 1 t. garam masala
- .5 t. sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh green chili, minced (use more or less to control spiciness)
- t. very finely grated fresh ginger (a food processor works great
When hot, put in the minced onions and garlic.
Stir fry until the mixture is a rich medium-brown shade.
Turn heat to medium-low and add the coriander and cumin (not the roasted
cumin), cayenne, and turmeric.
Stir for a few seconds.
2. Put in tomatoes.
Stir and fry until tomatoes are well amalgamated with the spice
mixture and lightly browned.
3. Add the drained chickpeas and 1 C. water.
Add ground cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon
Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove cover and add minced green chili and grated ginger.
Stir and cook, uncovered for another 30 seconds.
Note: Oil can be reduced to 2 T.
It is possible to omit the amchoor and not affect the recipe.