Cook the aubergine, potato and carrots in boiling water for 10 minutes,
- 1 aubergine (200g/8oz), diced
- 1 potato (200g/8oz), cut into match sticks
- 200g/8oz carrots, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp oil
- 200g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 5ml/1 tsp ginger purée
- 30ml/2tbsp balti paste
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 100g/4oz split red lentils
- 600g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
Fry the onion and garlic in 30ml/2tbsp oil for 5 minutes until
Add the remaining oil and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Add the ginger, balti paste and tomato purée.
Fry for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the lentils for 10 minutes in just enough boiling
water to cover, topping up with water as necessary.
Transfer all ingredients except beans to a large saucepan.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Then add beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.