From: Karen Sonnessa
Recipe By : Vegetarian Times, November 1998 Serving Size : 8
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms -- (see note)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups cubed chinese-style extra-firm tofu or smoked tofu
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti -- drained and cooled
- 1/2 cup blanched -- sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup soymilk -- heated
- 1 tablespoon almonds -- (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In saute pan over medium-low heat, cook mushrooms in wine until mushrooms
release their moisture and are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Gently combine mushrooms, tofu, spaghetti and almonds, in large bowl;
Combine flour and oil in saucepan over low heat.
Stir until smooth paste forms.
Add broth, a little at a time, stirring after each addition until
Remove from heat and stir in pepper, soymilk.
Lightly oil baking pan or ovenproof casserole.
Combine pasta mixture with sauce; place in pan or casserole.
Topping: Sprinkle on or almonds. Bake until golden brown on top,
about 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
Note: Use any type of mushroom you prefer: white button, brown
or a mixture of wild varieties.
Variations: As a time-saver, 2 cups of mushroom soup prepared
according to package directions with either milk or water can be
used rather than making the sauce from scratch.
Per 1-Cup Serving:
404 Cal.; 18g Prot.; 22g Fat; 36g Carb.; 15mg Chol.; 66mg Sod.;