from Deanne -
The American Vegetarian Cookbook
from the Fit for Life Kitchen
by Marilyn Diamond
I like this recipe even better than pumpkin pie.
Recipe By : The American Vegetarian Cookbook
Serving Size: 9
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1. To make cookie crust: In a food processor, combine oil, sweetener,
- 3 1/4 cups cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- dash ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- dash salt
Process until blended by pulsing 20 to 30 seconds.
Press crumbs into a 9 X 9 X 2-inch pan.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Place the pumpkin and milk in a food processor.
Puree, then add remaining ingredients an process to a smooth, thick
4. Pour filling into crust.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce oven temperature
to 250 degrees F and continue baking for 1 1/4 hours.
Place on rack to cool and then chill before cutting.
When completely chilled, squares will be firm.
NOTES : I only put in a pinch of coriander and no mace, as I didn't
I added about a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead and a touch
I never had any cashew butter, so I always put a bit of raw cashews
in the blender with as little water as I could use to get them to
blend into a paste.
I used that instead.
Actually--my daughter usually makes this recipe, instead of me.