Curry With Lentils And Apples
From: Karen Sonnessa
Recipe By :
Vegetarian Times, November 1998
Serving Size : 6
Place lentils, water and turmeric in a saucepan; cook about 45 minutes
over medium-low heat.
- 1 cup red or brown lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion -- diced
- 2 tomatoes -- cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced, up to 4
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled and chopped pumpkin or other winter squash
- 2 cups white potatoes -- unpeeled & chopped
- 8 medium cauliflower florets
- 2 medium carrots -- peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded leafy greens -- (kale, escarole or spinach)
- 2 apples -- unpeeled, cored and diced
- cooked basmati or jasmine rice
Drain, reserving 2 1/2 cups cooking liquid.
Heat oil in large saucepan; add onion.
Saute over medium heat 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 4 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Add curry, cumin, pepper, salt and cloves; cook 1 minute more, stirring
Stir in lentils, reserved cooking liquid, pumpkin, potatoes, cauliflower
and carrots; cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender,
35 to 45 minutes.
Stir in greens and apples; cook about 15 minutes more, stirring
Transfer to a large serving bowl and serve with basmati or jasmine
Makes 6 servings.
Per Serving: 334 Cal.; 11g Prot.; 3g Fat; 65g Carb.; 0 Chol.;
216mg Sod.; 9g Fiber.
Tired of baking every Thanksgiving?
You can make this main course on the stovetop.
For an artful presentation, serve inside a hollowed-out pumpkin
(see Baked Pumpkin with Vegetable Pilaf).
A yogurt-cucumber sauce (raita) makes a soothing accompaniment.