Squash, Parsnip And Cranberry Bean Stew
From: Karen Sonnessa
Recipe By :
Vegetarian Times, November 1998
Serving Size : 4
In a large saucepan, heat oil; add celery, garlic and chipotle.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sliced celery -- (about 2 med. stalks
- 2 garlic cloves -- minced (2 to 3)
- 1 chipotle pepper -- minced
- 4 large tomatoes -- cored and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups peeled and diced buttercup or butternut squash
- 2 cups peeled and diced parsnips -- (about 2 large)
- 12 pearl onions -- peeled, up to 16
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned cranberry beans -- drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 8 broccoli florets
Saute 3 to 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper; cook about 8
minutes more over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture
resembles thick pulp.
Add squash, parsnips, onions, carrots and water; cook, stirring occasionally,
until squash and parsnips are tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in beans, corn and broccoli.
Cover and cook 5 to 10 minutes more.
Serve in a large bowl with brown rice or quinoa on the side, or
in a baked pumpkin
(see Baked Pumpkin with Vegetable Pilaf).
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
347 Cal.; 10g Prot.; 3g Fat; 64g Carb.; 0 Chol.; 900mg Sod.; 18g
The mildly sweet flavor and firm texture of parsnips pairs well
with the delicately flavored buttercup squash; chipotle pepper adds
a smoky, peppery nuance.