Recipe By: Mollie Katzen, "Moosewood Cookbook"; Serving Size: 6
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice -- and/or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic -- crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions -- include greens
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil -- (good quality)
- fresh black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes -- diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley -- chopped and packed
You should begin to soak the bulghar at least 3 hours before serving
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1 chopped cucumber -- or summer squash
It needs to thoroughly marinate and chill.
Combine bulghar, boiling water, and salt in a bowl.
Cover and let stand 15-20 minutes, or until bulghar is chewable.
Add lemon juice, garlic, oil, and mint, and mix thoroughly.
Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
Just before serving add the vegetables and mix gently. Correct seasonings.
Garnish with olives.