with Mint and Tomatoes
In Greece, this is made with 1/4 pint of olive oil!
Whilst the taste does suffer very slightly with the ommission of
the oil, I find the addition of a very strongly flavoured vegetable
stock (1/4 pint) redresses the balance well.
Saute onions and garlic in a little of the stock until starting to
- 1 lb of cooked butter beans
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 pint of strong veg. stock
- 1 x 14 oz can of tomatoes
- 2 tblsp fresh mint or 1 dried
Add the tomatoes and the cooked beans and the mint.
Season to taste.
Simmer gently, covered, for about 20 minutes to allow the flavours
I like this as a supper dish with wholemeal bread rolls and a green
PLEASE....don't try feeding this to any greek people :-) !