Bulgar, Veg Chickpea and Bean Greek Superfood Stew
This is one of my favourite stew things ever!!! add whatver veg to it you wish I like putting carrots, parsnips and fine beans in other than what is specified below. garnish with some vegan parmesan and away you go. I think its really good for you with loads of protein etc, I think you can subsitute the beans for whatever beans you like I've used pinto, broad and cannelini, and flagolet before now, you can even put a bit of chilli in it if you liek to spice it up, this is taken form "A Vegan Taste of Greece" by Linda Majzlik one of the best cookboooks about for vegans in my eyes. I end up having to change the recipe a bit in order to accomodate what's in my fridge.
- 1 sliced leek (1 big leek)
- 2 sliced onions (2 onions)
- 100 g sliced mushrooms
- 100 g spinach (fresh or some frozen cubes)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 500 g chickpeas (1 tin drained)
- 300 g broad beans (1 small tin drained)
- 500 g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 175 g bulgur wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon mint
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 100 ml red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400 ml stock
- black pepper
- 1 fresh lemongrass (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
preheat oven to gas mark 4,
In a heavey based heat half the oil and saute the onion and leeks with garlic for 5 minutes, then add teh sinach until it wilts (if using frozen then add frozen ones and let them melt a bit).
add the tinned stuff the seasoning the bulagr wheat wine vinegar and stock mix well.
use remaining olive oil to lightly grease a casserole dish, pour mixture into this dish If using lemon grass bruise lightly and put in mixture and cover with foil.
bake for 40 minutes take out stir. If not using lemongrass mix the juice of the lemon into the pilauf at this stageserve with vegan paramasan sprinkled over the top and black pepper.