(a BBQ side dish)
from Alex Galvin
- Bristol, England
Opening comments: This is a must for barbies. It's cheap, easy,
delicious and - best of all - tastes expensive and time consuming.
IMPORTANT - It MUST be cooked 3-4 days before eating.
- 1tbs oil 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 small onion 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed* 2 tbs dark brown soft sugar
- 3 tbs wine vinegar 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 250g (8oz) button mushrooms
- 2 tsp Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
* This is the amount of garlic stated in the recipe. Don't listen
to this. I never do and I'm sure many people reading this don't
either. Stick in as much garlic as you see fit!
1. Heat oil, add onion and garlic. Fry until softened. Add remaining
ingredients, (except mushrooms). Bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Quarter mushrooms if large and put in a bowl. Pour over hot sauce
and stir well.
3. Leave until cold, stirring occasionally to ensure even coating.
4. Cover and marinate for 3 days, stirring each day. (Don't bother
tasting until day 3. There's no point - it takes 3 days to mature.)
5. Serve with cold meats, grilled food or BARBEQUES!
Keep this one a secret!