From: Gail Joslin,
Vegans In South Africa
The Uncheeze Cookbook - Joanne Stepaniak
|The Uncheese Cookbook :
Creating Amazing Dairy-Free Cheese Substitutes and Classic 'Uncheese'
by Joanne Stepaniak
Yield: 1 1/4 (one and a quarter) cups
Cashews contribute their sweet, buttery taste, a flavour often
associated with dairy cream cheese, while tofu provides substance
to this rich, tempting spread.
For scrumptious vegetarian "lox and cream cheese", top with strips
of roasted red peppers.
Place the cashew pieces, water, lemon juice, and syrup in a blender,
and process several minutes into a thick, smooth cream.
- 1/4 (quarter) C raw cashew pieces
- 3 T water
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T brown rice syrup, or 2 tsp pure maple syrup, or 1 T barley
- syrup (I use barley malt syrup because we can't get the others
- 1 C firm regular tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- 3/4 (three quarters) tsp salt
- scant pinch of garlic granules
Add the salt, crumbled tofu, and garlic granules, and process
until very smooth.
It is essential to vlend the mixture for several minutes in order
to pulverize the tofu and achieve a velvety smooth consistency.
Chill thoroughly before serving.
Per 2 Tbsp: calories 52, Protein 3 gm, Carbohydrates 3 gm, Fat