A very simple yet warm, rich and tasty soup.
SERVES 6 -8
- 1/2 small cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut to 1/2 inch squares
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- 1 celery root, cubed
- 1/2 cup celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons quick oats (Quaker goes well)
- 2 liters boiling water
Saute onions in oil until transparent.
Add carrot, mix well, saute for 2 more minutes.
Add potatoes, celery root and tomatoes, whisk in 1 teaspoons of salt and the pepper and saute for 5 more minutes.
Add garlic and cabbage, saute for 2 more minutes.
Pour boiling water, bring to boil together, cover and simmer for quarter an hour.
Add oats, parsley, dill, celery leaves and 3/4 of the red pepper, cover and simmer for quarter an hour more.
Add the remaining red pepper and salt, mix well and simmer under cover for 20 more minutes.