Serve with a crusty loaf of French bread...mmm. This recipe comes from the Moosewood Restaurant.
SERVES 4 -6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced in 1/2 pieces
- 4 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Heat the oil in a heavy stew pot. Saute the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and green beans for 3-4 minutes.
Add the bay leaves, thyme and red wine and boil, uncovered for 3 minutes.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini and mushrooms.
Combine the sauce ingredients and then stir the sauce into the vegetables.
Simmer about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
While the vegetables are stewing, cook the potatoes separately in salted boiling water until they are tender.
Drain and add them to the ragout a few minutes before serving.