From: Kate Pugh
This isn't an attempt to replicate the meat and seafood stew that's
normally called paella.
It's just a quick, tasty, one-pot vegan meal that's made of `rice
It's from the F-Plan F-Plus Recipe Book, by Audrey Eyton.
I don't think I've altered it much, if at all.
1. Put the rice into a pan with 250ml (8fl oz, 1 cup) boiling water.
- 50g (2oz) brown rice
- 1 small onion
- 1 small sweet green bell pepper (or 1/2 large)
- 2 small tomatoes
- 25g (1oz) mushrooms
- 3 tbsp sweetcorn, thawed if frozen, drained if canned
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or marjoram
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
- soy sauce and black pepper to taste
- 12.5g (1/2 oz) peanuts or nonsweetened peanut butter (optional)
Bring back to the boil, then cover, reduce heat, and leave to simmer.
2. Meanwhile, chop the onion, pepper and tomatoes.
Slice the mushrooms, halving them first if large.
Add these vegetables to the rice; stir, re-cover and continue to
simmer until the rice is almost tender
(about 25 minutes from start of cooking).
3. Meanwhile, if using peanuts, place them in a bowl and crush
them with the bottom of a small glass or cup.
4. Stir in the sweetcorn, herbs and lemon juice.
Season to taste, cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
5. If using peanut butter, stir in and serve.
If using peanuts, turn the paella onto a serving dish and sprinkle
them on top.