Tatiana's Vegetable Soup
Serve this delicious, earthy tasting soup with warm crusty bread. I named this soup in honor of my Russian online friend. Since it has beets in it, it reminds me of borscht. I used whatever vegetables I had in the house. Sometimes I add a can of beans; you can experiment with it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small onions
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, cut in half lengthwise and sliced crosswise into half moons
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 2 beets, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, to toast in (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, and (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, for garnish (optional)
In a large Dutch oven, saute onions in olive oil.
Add celery, saute until lightly browned.
Add the rest of the vegetables to the pan as you slice them.
Add corn and peas.
When all vegetables have been added to the pot, add the tomatoes and juice, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer about one hour.
Serve with freshly made bread.
Optional: Pan toast over high heat 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs in 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Add 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon crumbs over each bowl of soup.