Hinde -Stockholm, Sweden
Recipe By: the California Culinary Academy
Serving Size: 4; Preparation Time :1:05
1. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onions with salt
in oil until soft but not browned.
- 3 1/2 Deciliters Onions -- Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Safflower Oil
- 3/4 Deciliter Dry White Wine
- 3 1/2 Deciliters Carrots -- Julienned
- Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Marjoram
- 2 1/2 Deciliters Lentils -- Washed, Uncooked
- 1 Liter Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Miso -- Mixed With
- 3/4 Deciliter Water
- Soy Sauce, Tamari -- To Taste
- Carrot -- Grated For Garnish
- Green Onions -- Chopped
Add wine, carrots, thyme, and marjoram, and continue to cook, stirring
frequently, for 10 minutes.
2. Add lentils and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Lower heat to simmer and cook, covered, until lentils are soft (about
3. Before serving, remove pot from heat and stir in miso and,
if needed, soy sauce to taste.
Garnish with grated carrots and chopped green onions.
Serving Ideas : Serve with sourdough bread.
NOTES : This soup has an aroma and dark flavor that works well
in a European menu
-- perhaps with a caraway-studded rye bread, Balkan Cold Cucumber
Salad, and a frosty mug of German beer.
Because the flavors need time to blend, let this soup sit overnight,
if possible, before serving.