Smoked Tofu Summer Salad (Spread)
This is a veganized version of the Danish "Sommersalat" (summer salad) - traditionally made with "rygeost" (a sort of smoked soft cheese made with curdled milk) In Denmark it's served on rye bread for lunch. *Note* - this recipe doesn't really taste like the original, but it's great anyway - and a lot healthier!
- 8 ounces smoked tofu, undrained and mashed (try SoyBoy)
- 1/3 cup soft silken tofu, undrained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 ounces radishes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- more salt and black pepper, to taste
Mash silken tofu with lemon juice, vinegar, salt and white pepper. Mix well.
Add mashed smoked tofu.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Taste, add more salt/pepper etc. if you like. (If you like it more smoky; try adding a few drops of liquid smoke).
Cover and refrigerate; allow flavors to blend at least 1 hour.
Serve (rye bread recommended :)).