Barley & Mushroom Casserole
Modified from 'The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancestors'
by Jeff Smith
1.. Preheat oven to 375║.
- 2 medium cooking onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- cooking oil
- 1 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped parsley
2. In a stovetop to oven safe casserole dish with a lid, sautÚ
onions & garlic in oil until translucent & browned.
3. Add mushrooms & cook until tender.
4. Add barley, basil, salt, pepper & stock. Bring to boil.
5. Cover & put in oven. Cook until barley is tender - 45-50 minutes.
6. Toss with parsley & serve.
Try switching the basil for Italian or Greek seasoning