Romanian Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce
These were great, fast and easy side dish.
SERVES 3 -4
- 1 lb button mushroom or cremini mushroom or other mushroom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped plum tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, about
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili flakes or 1 dried red chili
- Small mushrooms, leave whole.
Slice the big ones into large pieces with the stems intact.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and saute until slightly tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the paprika and saute for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the wine and chili and simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Serve warm as an accompaniment to mamaliga (cornmeal mush) or pasta.