from The Vegetarian
Society UK - www.vegsoc.org
By parboiling the potatoes and then roughening the flat side with
a fork, they become very crispy when roasted, whereas the onion
rings become slightly charred.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved lengthways
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- good pinch dried, mixed herbs
- 2 onions, cut into thin rings
- 60-90ml / 4-6tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225g / 8oz cherry tomatoes
2. Parboil the potatoes for 10 minutes until the outsides are
Drain and place in a roasting tin flat side up.
Use a fork to roughen the flat uppermost side of the potato.
3. Add the prepared parsnips, sprinkle with mixed herbs and arrange
the onion rings over the top.
Drizzle with sunflower or olive oil and season with salt and lots
of black pepper.
4. Roast for 40 minutes, basting several times, then add the cherry
tomatoes and bake for a further 15~20 minutes until all the vegetables
are cooked and the tomatoes have split open.
5. Serve the roast vegetables with steamed broccoli, brussels
sprouts or mange tout with your Christmas meal.