Ratatouille (Crock Pot)
Make a whole meal out of the French Vegetarian Classic while it is warm or offer it chilled as a salad course. Serve with a crusty bread if desired. From the Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever.
SERVES 6 -8
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 large red bell pepper or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped coarsely
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Sprinkle the eggplant with salt; let stand in a colander 1/2- 1 hour to drain.
Press out excess moisture.
Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the eggplant in crock pot.
Add onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
Cover and cook on high setting about 3 hours or until the vegetables are tender but still hold their shape.
Stir in the tomato paste, olives, and the fresh basil.
Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.