Quick Vegetarian Paella
This is from Cooking light. "Complete the menu with steamed green beans, and packaged mixed baby greens tossed with bottled orange sections and toasted almonds.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups quick-cooking brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread or ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
Stir in rice, broth, water, saffron and thyme; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in tomato, peas, olives, parsley, pepper and artichoke hearts.
Cook for 3 minutes or until rice is tender and mixture is heated through.