Portuguese Shepherd's Potatoes
We like this stove-top potato recipe because it is quick,and delivers on flavor but won't overpower your main course dish. Pimenton is the Spanish smoked paprika and can be substituted with Hungarian paprika.
- 750 g potatoes, peeled and in one inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon pimenton smoked paprika, to taste
- water, as needed
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan large enough to hold the potatoes in one layer.
Fry the onion and garlic, along with the rosemary until the onion is golden (but do not burn the garlic).
Add the pimenton, mixing well.
Add the potatoes and mix, insuring that they become covered with the onion mixture.
Add just enough water to cover the potatoes.
Put a lid on the frying pan and simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes; you may need to take the lid off for the last five minutes or so (and stirring as needed to prevent sticking) in order to evaporate all the remaining liquid.