Polish Twelve Fruit Compote
This is from a library book about Christmas in Poland. It cites: "The Culinary Arts Institute Polish Cookbook".
SERVES 12 -16
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit (including pears, figs, apricots and peaches)
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 1/2 cup raisins or currant
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced or 6 ounces dried apples, slices
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup grapes or pomegranate seeds or pitted plum
- 1/2 cup fruit-flavored brandy
In a 6 quart pot combine water, mixed dried fruits, prunes and raisins. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, or until the fruits are plump and tender.
Add the cherries, apples and cranberries. Stir in sugar, lemon and spices. Cover, simmer 5 minutes.
Grate orange and reserve peel. Peel and section orange and add to pot.
Stir in grapes or alternatives and brandy. Bring just to boiling and remove from heat.
Stir in orange peel.
Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.