Paella Los Porches
PAELLA LOS PORCHES (Saffron Rice With Vegetables)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet red pepper or 1 green pepper, seeded, deribbed and cut into strips
- 8 pieces asparagus
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground
- 8 medium-size mushrooms, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 2 artichokes, cut in quarters
- 6 cups boiling water
- 3 cups medium grain rice or long grain rice, raw
In a 14-inch paella pan or a skillet or casserole at least 14-inches in diameter and 2 to 2 1/2-inches deep, heat the oil over moderate heat.
dd all the vegetables and, stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add rice, salt, pepper and water (saffron added to the boiling water before adding to casserole). Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Set the pan on the floor of the oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed by the rice and vegetables.
At no point should the paella be stirred after it goes in the oven.
When the paella is done, let it rest for 5 to 8 minutes.