Kale and Bean Soup
This recipe is from my web-site ( www.portuguese-recipes.com ).It has many variations this is my rendition of it.It's a great meatless soup.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 6-8 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped if fresh (you can use frozen 2 or 3 pkgs. or if canned use 2 to 3 cans)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes or 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
In a large pot, heat olive oil then add garlic and onion.
Sauté these ingredients until soft.
Add kale and sauté until wilted.
Add 3 cups of the broth, 2 cups of beans, tomatoes, herbs,salt and pepper.
Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Use a blender, or what have you, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth.
I bet your asking why, its to thicken the soup.
Mix into soup.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve it up in bowls and dress with parsley.