Juniper Berry Soup
This is traditionally served as the main meal during the hot days of summer. Tastes great hot or cold. The recipe has been forever in my family. This version originated in Thuringia, Germany, near the polish border.
- 1 lb black juniper berries
- 1 quart water
- 1 piece fresh lemon rind, 1 x 2 inch
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water or 1 ounce tapioca
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
Wash and berries and remove from stems.
Add berries and lemon rind to water and bring to boil, till berries are cooked.
Strain the cooked berries through a sieve, and bring to a boil.
Mix the potato starch in water (or tapioca) and slowly add to gentle boiling soup.
Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
Bring to taste with lemon juice and sugar.
Sliced apples or pitted plums may be added while soup is simmering.