Jacques Pepin's Clear Vegetable Stock
Chef Pepin's recipe for a tasty vegetarian stock.
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium leek, cleaned thoroughly and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
For Herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried fennel seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lavender (optional)
Place all ingredients, along with ingredients for Herbes de Provence, and 10 cups of water into a stockpot or heavy kettle.
Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour; strain.