From: Kate Pugh
You will need a blender to make this soup; and you'll need to
start it in advance to allow time for chilling.
If you're using a stock cube or powder, blend it in with the vegetables
to make sure it's well-distributed.
Add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil at the end if you like;
but I don't think it's necessary for either flavour or thickening.
Makes 1.2 litres (Serves 4)
1. Dice the tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers.
- 225g (8oz) tomatoes (3 large)
- 1/3 cucumber (about 100g, 4oz)
- 1 small green sweet bell pepper
- 1 small red bell sweet pepper
- 1/2 small onion (about 50g, 2oz)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400ml (15 fl oz) tomato juice
- 150ml (5 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or mint or both
Reserve about a quarter of each for garnish, and put the rest into
Finely dice the onion and garlic, and add these to the blender too.
2. Pour the tomato juice into the blender and blend until smooth.
Stir in the stock and wine vinegar, and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Mix in the reserved vegetables and the herbs.
Serve with croutons or French bread if desired.