Chestnut Bread Rolls
from The Vegetarian
Society UK - www.vegsoc.org
makes 6 rolls
These rolls complement the fruit flavours in the Pear
and celeriac soup.
1. Pre-heat oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- 175g / 6oz strong wholemeal flour
- 175g / 6oz strong white flour
- 2.5ml / 1/2tsp salt
- 2.5ml / 1/2tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 12g / 1/2oz fresh yeast (or 5ml/1tsp dried yeast)
- 10ml / 2tsp sugar
- 240ml / 8floz (approx) hand-hot water
- 100g / 4oz chestnuts (cooked weight), chopped
2. Mix the flours, salt, and the nutmeg or cinnamon together in
a large mixing bowl.
Cream the yeast and sugar together and add a little hand-hot water.
Mix well and leave in a warm place for 5 minutes, until frothy.
3. Pour the yeast mixture over the flour in the bowl and add enough
water, one tablespoon at a time, to make a stiff, but not sticky,
4. Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for
Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean
tea towel or loose cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled
in size (about 1 hour).
5. Punch the dough down, turn out onto a floured surface, add
the chopped chestnuts and knead for 5 minutes, making sure the chestnuts
are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
6. Divide into 6 balls and shape into rolls.
Allow to prove by leaving the rolls in a warm place for 20~30
minutes, until well risen.
Glaze with soya milk and bake for 15~20 minutes in the pre-heated
If the rolls sound hollow when tapped on the base, then they are