Dry Majorcan Soup
In Majorca this soup is traditionally eaten with grapes - it is served hot or cold. You may substitute the cabbage with Cauliflower, lettuce, broccoli, Spinach etc
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 red peppers, membrane & seeds removed,cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and peeled
- 4 tablespoons parsley, cleaned and chopped
- 1 large cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 12 slices crusty firm white bread, thinly sliced
In 2 tbsp of oil saute the onions, peppers& garlic until the onions are just golden.
Add tomatoes & parsley saute gently for 4 minutes.
Add the cabbage and water, simmer until the cabbage is cooked.
Take out 4 soup bowls or a soup tureen and place a slice of bread on the botton of each bowl (if using a tureen cover the bottom with a layer of bread).
Cover the bread with a layer of veggies.
Add another layer of bread and more veggies.
Repeat one more time.
Pour in as much stock as the bread will absorb.
Drizzle a bit of oil on top (optional).