with Roasted Garlic
from The Vegetarian
Society UK - www.vegsoc.org
Adding creamed roasted garlic to this traditional accompaniment
to Christmas dinner lifts it out of the ordinary.
Your guests will be trying to guess the mystery ingredient.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- 1 head of garlic
- 45ml / 3tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves
- 1 onion peeled and left whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 300ml / 1/2 pint soya milk
- 50g / 2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 15g / 1/2oz vegan margarine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
2. Break the garlic into cloves leaving the skin on.
Place in a small ovenproof dish drizzle with olive oil and bake
in the oven for 15~20 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
3. Stick the cloves into the onion and place in a saucepan with
the bayleaf peppercorns and soya milk.
Bring to the boil then take the pan off the heat and add the breadcrumbs.
Stir in the margarine and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
4. Squeeze the garlic out of their skins and mash until you have
a creamy textured puree.
5. Remove the peppercorns onion and bayleaf from the sauce and
stir in the creamed garlic.
Season to taste with salt pepper and nutmeg.
Re-heat gently to serve.
Tip: This sauce can be made in advance and frozen until required.