Vegetarian Lumpia from the Philippines
From: Geri by the Sea
Lumpia are the Philippine version of spring rolls. They are tasty finger food, and these are vegetarian too.
- 1 package lumpia skins, from an asian specialty store
- 10 carrots, chopped small
- 4 leeks, well cleaned,and chopped small
- 6 shallots or 2 onions, chopped small
- sesame oil, dark (or regular oil, but sesame is better)
- salt (try 1 tsp)
- Chinese plum sauce (for dipping)
Saute chopped carrots, leeks, shallots and salt in sesame oil til the carrots are tender and soft.
Use the lumpia skins at either full size or 1/4 size (by cutting larger skins into four squares).
Moisten a lumpia skin in water and roll the vegetable mixture into the skin.
Repeat with the remaining skins.
Bake at 375 on a lightly oiled baking sheet for approx 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned- keep an eye on them, as ovens vary.
Serve hot with plum sauce.