Here's a great Thai-style Peanut Sauce I found in _Fire & Spice:
200 Hot and Spicy Recipes from the Far East_ by Jacki Passmore.
The book is, in general, full of quite authentic recipes that are
Their "medium hot" is 5 stars in my mouth!
It's NOT a veg cookbook by any means although I find it useful for
sauces and ideas of what flavors go in particular dishes.
Check it out if you're interested in learning about how to make
hot food then be prepared to have to "translate" to vegetarian.
I enjoy this sauce over lightly stir-fried spinach and bean sprouts
on rice (like Swimming Rama)
Combine sauce ingredients in a small nonstick saucepan and bring barely
to a boil over medium high heat.
- 1/3 c crunchy peanut butter
- 1-2 tsp sambal ulek or other chili paste
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2-1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground galangal or 1-1/2 tsp finely shredded galangal
(I've substituted standard ginger with fine results)
- 1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 T palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 3/4 c coconut milk
Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, for about 1-1/2 minutes.