(Fried Soybean Curd)
Origin: Java; Serves: 6
Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- 1/4 pound green beans, cut diagonally in 2-inch pieces
- 4 firm soybean curd squares
- 1/2 cup corn oil for deep-frying
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 fresh hot red chilies, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Cut the bean curd into slices 1 inch long and 1/4 inch thick.
Drain the slices on paper towels, patting them dry.
Heat the oil in a wok or deep skillet and fry the slices over moderate
heat for 3 minutes, or until light brown.
Remove and set aside.
Remove all but 1 tablespoon oil. - In a food processor, blend the
shallots, garlic, chilies, and salt to form a paste (bumbu).
Heat the oil in the wok and stir-fry the bumbu over moderate heat
for 2 minutes.
Add the beans, bean curd, Kecap Manis, and tomato paste.
Stir-fry the mixture for 3 minutes.