(*teienjanyu* in Japanese, dunno about Chinese)
This takes a little planning to have ready, but worth it. I translated
it from a televised short course on Szechwan cooking, proving that
Szechwan cooking isn't all fire....
Put all ingredients in pan, bring to boil, and simmer over low heat
for approximately one hour, until liquid has reduced to about 2/3.
- 1 cup Japanese-style soy sauce
- 2/3 cup sugar (I use about half that)
- 1/2 cup sake or sherry
- 10 cm long onion, or half a round onion, roughly chopped
- 1 knob ginger, thinly sliced
- 15 g cinnamon sticks (2?)
- 1 or 2 stars of star anise (I'd use more, but my husband would
- 15 g dried orange peel
Strain, cool, and store in fridge for up to one month.
Use in same quantities as Oy**er Sauce.