with Vegetable Filling
Edge - Cape Town, South Africa
Vegan main course, Makes eight
Cook the noodles as directed on packet
- 500g packet phyllo pastry, thawed
- 150ml olive oil
- 125g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 4 large spring onions, chopped
- 100ml shredded red cabbage
- 100ml shredded white cabbage
- 4 carrots, scraped and chopped
- 200ml (half a punnet) sprouts
- 230g can bamboo shoots, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10ml garlic and ginger mix
- 12g (25ml) cornflour
- 50ml dry sherry
- 25ml soya sauce
- 125g instant Chinese noodles (mushroom flavour)
Cut phyllo pastry into eight equal squares.
Cover with a dish towel.
Brush between layers of each square with 100ml of the olive oil.
Press pastry squares into greased muffin pans to form eight baskets.
Bake at 160 ° C, 15 to 20 minutes.
(Olive oil tends to burn, so this recipe is baked at a lower temperature)
Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan, stir-fry mushrooms,
spring onions, cabbage, carrots, sprouts and bamboo shoots.
Season to taste.
Add ginger and garlic mix.
Combine cornflour, sherry and soya sauce, stir into vegetable
Cook two to three minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
Remove from heat.
Stir in noodles.
Spoon mixture into phyllo baskets.
Serve at once.