Salad with Peanut Sauce)
Origin: Sumatera; Spicy; Serves: 6
Note: Use at least 4 of those vegetables.
- 1/2 pound water spinach (kangkung), cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 bunch of watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 1/4 pound chinese long beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shredded cabbage
- 1/2 pound bean sprouts
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 or 4 hot chilies, sliced and seeded
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 stalk of lemongrass or a 1-inch piece of lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed
Blanch the vegetables, separately, in boiling water for 2 minutes
Drain and let cool in separate dishes.
In a food processor, blend the garlic and chilies to form a paste.
Heat the oil in a skillet or wok and in it stir-fry the paste over
moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Add the water, lemongrass, sugar, and salt and bring the mixture
to a boil.
Add the peanuts and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened
In a serving bowl or on a platter arrange the water spinach and
cover it with the watercress, then the long beans.
Arrange the cabbage and the bean sprouts on top.
Serve at room temperature.
Pour the warm sauce over all. Serve with krupuk (chips).