Indonesian Island-Style Curry Powder
This spice mixture is widely used in Indonesian cooking. Comes from an adaption of several spice recipes from Indonesia.
- 8 cardamom pods (white)
- 6 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 inches piece cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
In a heavy frying pan, dry-fry the first six ingredients till a rich aroma can be smelled. Do not allow to burn.
When cool, remove cardamom seeds from pods and discard pods.
Grind all roasted seeds. Add chili powder to resulting mixture. Use immediately or store in airtight jar away from light for no more than one month.