Indonesian Sweet and Sour Tofu With Vegetables
Gathered from an Indonesian website-kokkieblanda, this is a nice blend of vegetables and flavors.
4 -6 servings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick shapes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into strips
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb firm tofu
Press tofu by placing paper towel over tofu and placing a heavy saucepan over the top.
Let sit while you prepare rest of recipe.
Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the broth in a small cup until well blended.
Add the rest of the broth, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pay over high heat.
Stir-fry the garlic, onion, and carrots until the carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the pepper, celery, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir the sauce well and add it to the vegetables.
Cook until the mixture thickens. Cut tofu in strips or cubes.
Add tofu to vegetables and cook until the tofu is thoroughly heated.
Serve immediately over rice.