Burmese Cucumber Salad
The Burmese are a relaxed people and eat simple. This is a simple but very good and spicy salad. Enjoy! Adapted from a Burmese Food and Drink site.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 green jalapeno chiles, finely chopped (or green chiles of choice)
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
Mix cucumber, sugar and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
To toast sesame seeds, place in dry skillet over medium high heat and, stirring frequently, cook 2-3 minutes, or till seeds start to turn brown.
Watch closely so they don't burn.
Place toasted sesame seeds in food processor or mortar and pestle. Pulse to crush slightly, or if using mortar and pestle, crush slightly.
Just before serving, mix with sesame seeds, green chiles, celery and garlic.
Mix well and serve.