Recipe By: Christine Makuch, Woman's Day, 4/21/98;
Serving Size: 9
Heat oven to 375°F.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar -- packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free fruit puree
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup egg substitute, liquid
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons pecans -- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Line a 9-in square baking pan with foil, letting ends extend above
pan on 2 sides.
Coat with non-stick cooking spray.
Whisk both sugars, the baking powder, salt, fruit puree, oil,
egg substitute, and vanilla in a medium bowl until thoroughly blended.
Stir in flour and carrots, scrape into prepared pan, and sprinkle
with Topping (chopped pecans mixed with 2 T. brown sugar).
Bake 35 minutes or until cake springs back when very lightly pressed
Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before carefully lifting cake
from pan by foil ends to rack to cool.
Cut in squares.