Szechuan-Style Eggplant and Tofu in Chili Bean Sauce
by Ching He-Huang from Ching's Kitchen Simple, spicy and scrumptious, Ching-He Huang's imaginative vegetarian side dish can be made in minutes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced and cut into small chunks
- 500 ml water
- 3 tablespoons chili bean sauce, preferably dou ban jiang sauce, if available
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 400 g fresh tofu, in water, drained and cubed
- 2 small spring onions, shredded
Heat a wok with the oil over a high heat. Stir-fry the garlic and ginger for about 30 seconds.
Add the eggplant to the wok and continue frying for 2-3 minutes.
Pour over 500ml of water, followed by the chilli bean sauce, soy sauce and tofu.
Simmer for another 1-2 minutes, garnish with spring onions and serve immediately with steamed rice.