Szechuan Black-Eyed Pea Salad
This salad tastes great wrapped in tortillas or served over baby spinach that's been sauteed in a small amount of olive oil. Found this recipe in Vegetarian Times. It won first place in a recipe contest and was submitted by someone named Laura McAllister.
SERVES 4 -6
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (1 tsp)
- 1 avocado, cubed (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon szechuan sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in large bowl.
Toss avocado with lemon juice in a seperate bowl.
Then add the avocado to the black-eyed pea mixture.
Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado.
Toss black-eyed pea mixture with Szechuan sauce dressing.